National Report on Schooling in Australia 2012
Senior schooling and youth transitions
The national key performance measures (KPMs) for schooling, specified in the Measurement Framework for Schooling in Australia 2012, include measures for participation and attainment, including:
• student enrolment
• attendance at school
• participation of young people in vocational education and training (VET) including VET in Schools
• participation of young people in education, training and employment
• attainment of young people in education and training.
The KPMs for the enrolment and attendance of students in primary and junior secondary school are reported in Part 4: Student participation, which also reports on apparent progression and apparent retention rates for secondary school students.
This section of the report deals with the participation and attainment of older students, including those in senior secondary school. For school students, it outlines participation in senior secondary education and in VET as part of Senior Secondary Certificates of Education (VET in Schools). It also deals with the participation of young people in education, training and work beyond school, and their attainment in post-school education and training.
These measures reflect the policy intent of the Melbourne Declaration to define educational goals, not just for school students, but for all young Australians, and the role of the National Report on Schooling in Australia in reporting on the outcomes of schooling.
VET participation and attainment are reported in terms of qualifications within the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). The AQF is the comprehensive national framework of qualifications in the school, VET and higher education sectors. It was introduced in 1995 to underpin the national system of qualifications in Australia. The AQF was significantly revised in 2010 and the strengthened AQF First Edition was released in July 2011. A modified AQF Second Edition was released in January 2013.
Qualifications within the AQF include:
- Senior Secondary Certificates of Education issued by state and territory school curriculum, assessment and certification authorities to students meeting requirements on completion of Year 12
- VET qualifications at various certificate and diploma levels delivered by institutes of technical and further education (TAFEs) and other registered training organisations (RTOs)
- higher education diplomas and degrees provided through Australian universities and other educational institutions.
Detailed information on qualification levels is contained in the Australian Qualifications Framework document.
The KPMs reported in this section indicate progress towards the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) targets for Year 12 or equivalent attainment and progress in achieving the agreed outcome in the National Education Agreement and the National Partnership Agreement on Youth Attainment and Transitions that young people make a successful transition from school to work and further study. They are also indicators of the success of Australian schooling in preparing and empowering young people to do so.